Monday, June 8, 2009

Commissars

Well, we've all been here before.

Another human rated character that's supposed to be a CC monster.

Well, I like to call them Inquisitors. When was the last time you had your ass kicked by one?

Right, you didn't. And they are ostensibly 'better'. Hidden in a unit, more options, etc.

Still suck.

Carapace armor means they will get dropped by everybody (and their mom).

Summary execution. Stupid rule. Yes please let me buy a guy that kills my unit leader off whenever my low LD ass fails a fucking test. First time I see one of these guys assigned to a command squad, I am gonna have a serious laughing and pointing fit.

Aura of Discipline. Finally, a semi-useful skill. Stick the Lord with one squad (not a HW squad, geniuses--reread the Summary Execution rule, thanks!) and give HW squads LD10 for passing command squad orders.

Is that worth 70 points? Well, I guess it could be if you are also running Creed; since taking one commissar means you only get one company command platoon.

If however you really have a burr in your bonnet for running Foot Guard (yeah that means you Chris) then you bring a commissar and stick him in a X pattern with HW teams at the 4 points of the X.

Protip: Don't forget to add say a 20 or 30 man infantry squad for the Commissar to hide in, deployed in a T formation across the X. So the HW squads get cover saves, yes? Just don't forget to give your 'gunner' a clear line of fire out. It's time consuming but works when done right.

Anyway, I can't see a Lord Commissar not getting his balls ripped off in CC, so he's a support unit.

In my view, modifying 4 HW units LD to 10 is pretty much his only role.

So if you are running Mech Guard, leave him at home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment